Red Earth Farms welcomes scheduled visitors only. We are open to new members who are aligned with REF’s values and who have the skills and means to take on a challenging adventure in homesteading. Currently there are plots of land available for lease and additionally there are some existing households open to new folks joining them in sub-community.
Because we have limited resources, we will give precedence to visitors who are genuinely interested in joining a community like ours, rather than those who are just passing through. We suggest a stay of at least five days in order for us to really get to know one other.
We will be open to hosting visitors May through October 2018
We value affordability and wish for everyone who wants to visit to be able to manage it. We also recognize that it does cost us to host visitors in regards to both the basic expense of food and facilities as well as the non-monetary outlay of time and energy spent on orientation and integration of new people into this lifestyle.
Upon being accepted for a visit, we request that a placeholder fee of $5/adult/day be paid in advance (via check, cash, PayPal transfer) to whatever community member or group is taking the role of host. After arriving, if a visitor would like to extend or shorten their stay that can be worked out with the host. If a prospective visitor decides to cancel their visit then the placeholder fee will be refunded so long as the cancellation occurs more than three weeks prior to the scheduled visit. The object of having this placeholder fee is to minimize the amount of wasted effort on people who don’t show up and to encourage more serious visitor applicants.
Basic food and facilities cost us approximately $7/day per person, depending on the season. If we pick you up in a vehicle, the trip will cost us 60¢/mile. Visitors should plan to cover their pickup costs. Sometimes ride-share arrangements are available.
We appreciate any and all monetary donations; they help make it possible for us to host visitors who aren’t able to contribute as much financially.
Visitors will be expected to pitch in with our daily tasks, and this certainly helps to compensate for our costs.
If you would like to schedule a visit we ask that you write us a letter covering the points listed below. Please send your letter as plain text in the body of an email (not as an attachment) or by postal mail. (Relevant addresses) Your letter will be made available for everyone to read before you arrive. If you are planning to visit Red Earth Farms with other people (i.e. your partner, friend, or family), each person should write a separate letter.
Points to Cover
- Your name, age, and gender
- How you heard about Red Earth Farms
- What dates you would like to visit, how long you would like to stay, and how flexible those dates are
- Why you are interested in visiting an intentional community, and why Red Earth Farms in particular
- Your goals for your visit (what you want to learn, see, etc., and/or what skills or knowledge you would like to offer us)
- Any previous experience of visiting or living in communities
- Any dietary restrictions or allergies
- Any physical ailments or limitations that might prevent you from doing certain kinds of work
- Whether you have any children, and their ages, even if you are not planning on visiting with them
- A short description of your personality
- Your hobbies and interests
- Your education and work history (briefly)
- Your willingness and ability to camp while at Red Earth Farms (most visitors plan to bring their own equipment)
- How you plan to arrive here, and whether you will need directions or to be picked up at a station
- Your e-mail address, postal address, and phone number where you can be reached prior to your visit
- Any other information you would like to share with us before your visit
A visit to Red Earth Farms will give you the chance to experience life in a developing intentional community focused on self-sufficiency and sustainability. You might even discover that you would like to one day become a member of our community.
We hope to hear from you soon!